Saturday, August 29, 2009

In the multitude of words...

Tact, I agree, is a good thing. But it's not something I always use. It's not that I try to be awkward and offensive, it just comes out that way sometimes. It's never my intention to sound cynical and pessimistic, it just sort of happens. These may sound like excuses, and maybe they are, but I can honestly, unabashedly say right now that sometimes I get tired of sugar coating my words. Why beat around the bush when you can grab a machete and blunder your way through it?

My conviction rests in Proverbs 10:19: "In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise."

I don't restrain my lips. In fact, I seem to do quite the opposite. I'll impose my opinion on just about any subject to just about anyone, without any thought of how it may affect those around me.

I know I need to change, but my flesh, my pride, won't let me. Lord, this is where YOU come in. This is where I let go and You take over and change my heart. How I long to have the countenance of a quiet and gentle spirit! How I long to be a woman who chooses her words wisely, who allows the Lord to speak mightily through here, who listens for the still, small voice even if it takes hours or days.

This is what I've come to realize: Sin is not lacking in my life, You are. I have been so caught up in doing and going and being, that I fail to take time out to pray and read my bible. Forgive me, Lord. Place Godly desires in my heart. Cleanse me of my selfishness and pride. Convict me when I speak out of turn or say something that doesn't need to be said.

No comments: