Tuesday, August 4, 2009

If life has background music, playing your song, I've gotta be honest, I tried to escape you, but the orchestra plays on...

It never fails. I go to the grocery in a semi-contemplative mood and as soon as I walk in the door, my ears are bombarded with sappy, cheesy love songs. The first time this happened, I tried to ignore Boyz II Men as they were singing "I'll Make Love to You" while I compared the sugar content of different cereals. The second time, however, I started to wonder if someone @ Albertson's had it out for my mental well-being. I usually love Boyz II Men, just not that particular song. And lately I'm not in the mood for love songs - no matter how happy or sad.

I go to the grocery store alone and I leave alone. And I'm okay with that, really. But honestly, I'm at the store because I need to buy food, not be reminded of all the pseudo-happy people in their mediocre relationships. Sing me a song about the amazing sale on boneless chicken breasts or how really great the orange juice is on aisle 9, not your sex life or lackthereof.

Tonight I decided to try Safeway instead of Albertsons, thinking I would have better luck. Bad idea. First off, the produce selection is horrible and second, Bryan Adams was belting out "Please Forgive Me." Oh Bryan, you don't really mean that.. My cynicism strikes again.

Maybe the heart of the issue is that I'm secretly longing for someone to sing me a song - and mean what they say. Maybe I'm tired of reading books about all the great things I can do as a single. Maybe I just want someone to fall, really fall, in love with me - and stay that way forever. I KNOW KNOW KNOW that only God can satisify my deepest longings and desires. This isn't new information; it's been engrained in my head for as long as I can remember and it still doesn't change the fact that I desperately want to meet the man that I will spend the rest of my life with. God created man - and woman - in his image. He saw that it was not good for man to be alone, so He gave him a helper. What do I have, but peace that God is in control and that He will orchestrate an amazing love story when it's the right time. Until then...